We want to give you an update on how Canteen is managing coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 13, 2020
We want to give you an update on how Canteen is managing coronavirus (COVID-19).
The health and wellbeing of the young people we support – and their families – is our number one priority.
Cancer treatment can weaken the body’s immune system, which in turn greatly increases the risk of a health impact of any infection, including coronavirus. (Find out more about coronavirus advice for cancer patients here.)
In order to reduce the risk of infection for families who are already dealing with the immense challenges of cancer, we’ve decided to make some changes to the way we deliver our services.
- postpone face to face programs and events for the next three months and instead run additional online and video link events
- provide all individual support and counselling appointments online, video link, email or by phone
At this stage, we intend to continue offering digital and phone-only services until the end of June, but the situation is constantly changing so we’ll keep reviewing these plans.
Canteen has a strong track record of providing support services online. Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, we started offering online peer support and counselling in 2014. Kind donations have helped us further improve these services over the last five years and in 2019 we launched an updated online service, Canteen Connect.
As a result, Canteen is extremely well placed to continue supporting young people impacted by cancer and their families while the country tackles coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are incredibly grateful to all of you who make this work possible – thank you.
- The most up-to-date information on how we’re managing coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found on Canteen Connect.
- Feeling isolated? We’ve put together a few tips that we use every day to support our young people that are struggling with isolation during their cancer experience.
- If your household finances have been affected by reduced work, here are some links to information on Government assistance:
- Plus there are lots of helpful videos from Canteen experts on our COVID-19 information and advice page.