10 years of Youth Cancer Services
This year CanTeen’s internationally recognised Youth Cancer Services (YCS) celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The YCS – funded by the Australian Government along with state and CanTeen co-investment – delivers specialist, hospital-based coordinated medical and psychosocial support across Australia using a flexible, multidisciplinary, team-based approach to youth-friendly care.
This means adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer patients have equitable access to the YCS that considers their need across the disease trajectory from diagnosis and through treatment to survivorship and palliative care.
Some major achievements of the YCS include:
– Around three quarters of newly diagnosed patients requiring hospital care are seen by the YCS. Many more are supported closer to home, including in rural and remote settings, via secondary consultations, shared care and telehealth initiatives.
– A multi-disciplinary approach sees patients assessed for psychosocial needs during and after treatment and offered targeted support.
– A national approach to improve fertility preservation care, along with significant improvements in information provisions, referral and uptake of fertility preservation.
– An innovative example of team-based, coordinated care, operating successfully across a national network of hospitals.
– Providing a perfect platform to ensure greater availability and accessibility to potentially life-saving clinical trials for AYA cancer patients. CanTeen’s federally funded Australian Young Cancer Patient Clinical Trials Initiative is supporting AYA-inclusive clinical trials in high lethality and rare cancers using innovative methodologies and treatments including CAR-T cell therapy.
We’re incredibly excited to celebrate this 10-year milestone, and proud to work closely with the Australian Government – which in October announced it would invest $22 million in the YCS – ensuring continued youth-specific treatment and support for young people until 2023-24.
Please visit the Youth Cancer Services website to find out more.